Start Learning Russian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Saying St. Petersburg

Mikemacx
New in Town

Saying St. Petersburg

Postby Mikemacx » March 25th, 2011 4:43 pm

Just wondering, when you say "Санкт-Петербурга" in the lesson, I noticed you don't pronounce "П". Is this common for hyphened words or something unusual?

sasuga3363352
New in Town

Postby sasuga3363352 » June 21st, 2011 2:41 am

In the word Санкт-Петербург the sound П must be pronounced, no doubt. Maybe I pronounced it too fast, so you could not catch it? Or maybe there is something wrong with the audio itself? Let me look into it. Anyway, there is no any rule about pronouncing or not pronouncing any sounds in the hyphened words.Some sounds although are not pronounced, for example Л in Солнце but it is a whole new story... :D

Get 40% OFF
Mikemacx
New in Town

Postby Mikemacx » June 21st, 2011 5:21 am

Thank you for the tip. I know there is much for me to learn about pronunciation that varies from speaker to speaker. Having a great time with this language. Russian just seems to come naturally for me.

russian_guy
Expert on Something

pronouciations

Postby russian_guy » June 24th, 2011 1:05 am

hello i just want to add something on pronouciations

1. sometimes spasibo (thank you) is pronouces like( pasiba) and sometimes but uncommon pasibo.

2. in ukraine the words with letter g in them sometimes are pronouced like gh so igrat' becomes ihrat'

3. in maybe regions in russia and southern parts of the country as well as central asia and heritage speakers. sometimes the o is pronouced as stressed o and not like unstressed . examples are moscow says kharasho but some people say khorasho kharosho or khorosho.
my friends in canada pronouce the word объектив with accent on first syllable but my friends from ukraine and russia and llithuania pronouce it with accent on middle syllabol

mikerus4001
New in Town

Postby mikerus4001 » July 28th, 2011 9:15 am

That misinderstanding because of all male cast in this podcast speak with a strong accent and i think it's not good. I'm native russian and i dont understand some prases of that people how you then can learn anything.It consider to only male casts.

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Russian”