Start Learning Russian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

O in words. When it make a O soun or when it makes a A sound

me1234
New in Town

O in words. When it make a O soun or when it makes a A sound

Postby me1234 » November 3rd, 2009 11:19 pm

This is confusing (well maybe just for me). When it is read aloud I can pronounce it okay, but when just written in a new word, I can't figure out which O makes which sound!
Молоко is russian for milk it looks like "mo-lo-ko" but it is pronounced "ma-la-ko"
Sorry if this is a simple concept I am just not grasping but if you could do a lesson on it, or if it has already been in a lesson(s) please let me know

Thanks

russian_guy
Expert on Something

Postby russian_guy » November 4th, 2009 2:54 am

hey this is a good question i can help you with
now in russian there can only be one accented vowel and the rest will be un accented. now as for the rules i cant tell you
most russians will get confused with some words too gorbachyov for example look up russian stress and you will see some words he pronouced wrong.
i hope this helps you if not please send a pm to me through here and i will explaine more

Get 40% OFF
roxanasharie
Been Around a Bit

Oksana

Postby roxanasharie » November 4th, 2009 8:09 am

Most of the "O"s under the stress are read as clear "o"s. If the letter is not under the stress, it will sound as "a" in 99% cases. Like in MOLOKO: the first two "o"s are not stressed, so you can read them as "a". And the last "o" is the one you should read as "o". Good luck :)

Return to “Russian Lesson Suggestions”