Start Learning Russian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

TEA

Gill
Established Presence

TEA

Postby Gill » September 30th, 2008 4:21 pm

Does proper tea with milk exist in Russia? The reason I ask this probably silly question is that recently I visited Serbia and found that, in Belgrade, no proper tea could be found - only fruit tea - so I had to send out for supplies from a friend!

tereza
New in Town

TEA

Postby tereza » November 27th, 2009 8:48 pm

Proper tea?

By golly, the BEST tea (very reasonably priced) can be found everywhere in Russia. As a matter of fact, you would find it difficult to not find tea in any grocery or convenience store.

Next to vodka, it is the national drink. By the way, tea written in Russian is чай and pronounced like "chi" {which is the name for tea in many languages).

What I especially loved about buying tea in Russia is the availability of top quality green and white teas. These are also very reasonably priced.

Russians usually drink tea with either sugar or something sweet. The most important custom to be aware of is that "would you like some tea" means food will be served! Russians almost never drink tea without having some snack (usually sweet) with it.

Get 40% OFF
Gill
Established Presence

Postby Gill » November 28th, 2009 3:34 pm

The message was posted by me over a year ago! I had just returnedf rom a trip to Serbia. I could not find proper tea in a supermarket there at all only herbal and fruit tea. So you can imagine, with a visit to Russia looming, I wondered if it would be the same there. Anyway, I have visited Russia and returned and found that this fantastic country has absolutely everything and more even tea!!! :D

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Russian”