Start Learning Russian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Why "minya" and not "ya"?

TechHeavy
New in Town

Why "minya" and not "ya"?

Postby TechHeavy » September 23rd, 2008 12:30 pm

In Newbie lesson 5 when Anna and Eric are chatting prior to ordering their meal, they both make reference to what they like to eat. They both use the phrase, "minya nravitsa...". Doesn't minya mean, "me" or, "my"? So, "Me like..." (whatever). Why wouldn't it be, "Ya nravitsa...", or, "I like...."?

Spaciba

super_user
New in Town

Postby super_user » September 23rd, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi TechHeavy,

Good question. Menya, Ya, and Mnye are all forms of "I" in English but the difference is the cases, or grammar, used in each situation.

For example:

YA lublyu tebya. - I love you.

Ty lubesh MENYA? - Do you love ME.

MNYE nravitsa pizza. - I like pizza (literally, TO ME pleased pizza or pizza is favorable TO ME) Think of the Spanish language, as it operates in this instance in a similar fashion.... me gusta pizza - I like pizza or litterally "me enjoy pizza or pizza is enjoyed by me." There is not a one to one relation when translating in this instance from one language to the other.

Hope that helps :)

Get 40% OFF
TechHeavy
New in Town

Postby TechHeavy » September 23rd, 2008 8:23 pm

It does help. Thanks for the reply. :)

freaktwa
New in Town

Postby freaktwa » January 4th, 2009 1:29 am

[quote="super_user"]Hi TechHeavy,

Good question. Menya, Ya, and Mnye are all forms of "I" in English but the difference is the cases, or grammar, used in each situation.

For example:

YA lublyu tebya. - I love you.

Ty lubesh MENYA? - Do you love ME.

(end quote)

But how do we know when to use all of these different "I" phrases? Do we find out beyond lesson 5? (Because I would like to know in advance)

Please respond,
Freaktwa.

Erik
New in Town

Postby Erik » January 6th, 2009 10:48 am

hello freaktwa,

yes - the beginner series does cover the basics of the cases, i.e. prepositional, accusative, and so on. you should be able to start teasing apart the differences between the cases after the 25 beginner lessons in series one.

of course, if you have any particular questions about language in use, or about the form or meaning of words and phrases, please don't hesitate to ask. if there is something you're not sure about, i'm sure many other listeners have the same concern and would benefit from the Q&A

regards,

erik

freaktwa
New in Town

Postby freaktwa » January 11th, 2009 10:43 pm

Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Russian”